Camper comes off hitch, sparks ignite grassfire in Watertown

April 10, 2022 GMT

WATERTOWN, S.D. (AP) — A camper that came unhooked from a pickup hitch caused sparks that ignited a grassfire Saturday in Watertown, authorities said.

Watertown Fire Rescue was called to the scene about 1:10 p.m. and discovered a fast-moving blaze that was moving toward a farm and a residence.

Crews were able to contain the fire in about 20 minutes, department officials said. No structures were damaged in the 2.5-acre fire, the Watertown Public Opinion reported.

The incident remains under investigation.